What is Support Premium?
The Government is providing funding to provide new, substantial primary school sports funding. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The sports funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of Funding
Schools will have to spend the sports funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sports competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after-school sports clubs and holiday clubs
How will Sports Funding be spent and who will benefit?
The Governors agree that the money must be used so that: all children benefit regardless of sporting ability; that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development; sport is subsidised in order to support families financially.
The documents below show how we intend to spend the sports funding and the impact that this funding is having on PE, sport healthy lifestyles.